Close Encounters of the Third Kind has landed: Steven Spielberg's beloved sci-fi epic is back in cinemas now, and has been digitally remastered in 4K for this 40th anniversary release.
Coupling grand scale storytelling with carefully-handled humane drama, Close Encounters is a genuine blockbuster from the director who first mastered the form. Its questioning of man's place in the universe remains optimistic, while its bold visual and sonic identity retain all of their mystery and majesty - the result still inspires both awe and empathy.
Close Encounters of the Third Kind | Back in cinemas from 15 September
The Guardian "Has lost none of its grand celestial magic" -
"A bracing reminder of what mainstream cinema overlooks today... still wows" - The Times (Classic Film of the Week)
"An enrapturing spectacle of sound and light... truly best seen on the big screen" - The Big Issue
- What Close Encounters teaches us 40 years on - Den of Geek
- Why Close Encounters of the Third Kind was just as mysterious off screen - The i
- Spielberg goes sublime: Close Encounters of the Third Kind - BFI
- Is the big-hearted Spielbergian sci-fi of Close Encounters dead? - The Guardian
- The science of Close Encounters: could we use music to talk to aliens - The Telegraph
- "The belong here, more than we" - Close Encounters of the Third Kind at 40 - The 405