An exploration into the difficult readjustments made by WWII veterans returning to civilian life that follows the intertwined homecoming stories of ex-sergeant Al Stephenson (Fredric March), former bombadier Fred Derry (Dana Andrews), and sailor Homer Parrish (Harold Russell).
Profoundly relevant in 1946, the film still offers a surprisingly intricate and ambivalent exploration of American daily life.
- Best Actor in a Leading Role - Fredric March
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role - Harold Russell
- Best Director - William Wyler
- Best Film Editing
- Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture
- Best Picture
- Best Writing, Screenplay
- Honorary Award - Harold Russell
- Best Film from any Source